Come sing with us for our upcoming concert season! Auditions are held throughout the season by appointment only, generally before the season begins and immediately following major concerts. The choir is always seeking trained singers.
All those who are at least 18 years of age and older who love to sing are encouraged to audition. In some cases, we may accept responsible musicians who are 16 or 17. You need not be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to be in the choir or orchestra.
WHAT TO DO:
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name, age, stake (if applicable) and voice/instrument part.
WHERE TO GO:
Saint Paul Stake Center
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
100 Silver Lake Road NW
New Brighton, MN
HOW TO PREPARE:
- The audition is very friendly, and tailored for the individual singer. Remember, we are auditioning you because we WANT people to join the choir!
- Auditions are 7-8 minutes in length. Please arrive 15 minutes early to fill out an audition form that will help us get to know you.
- Prepare a hymn of your choice that shows your vocal range; sing melody first, then your voice part (sopranos prepare the alto line).
- Vocal range evaluation – a few fun, systematic exercises that get your physical voice comfortable throughout your full range to help you find your place in the choir.
- Listening skills – sing back a short phrase of notes played on the piano.
- Basic sight singing – four measures, stepwise motion.
- Basic music theory – identify key of sight singing excerpt.
This year’s concert season runs from September through April. Mandatory weekly rehearsals take place at the address above on Thursday evenings from 7:00-9:30 pm.